Royal Caribbean cancels 18 cruises due to coronavirus
Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has announced that it had canceled 18 cruises in Southeast Asia. The company will deliver a million protective surgical masks into China as the country battles to contain the coronavirus outbreak.
The coronavirus, which originated in China’s Hubei province and has killed more than 1,300 people, has taken a toll on cruise operators as travel restriction and fear of the virus spreading have led to cancellations of trips to the Far East.
More than 1,300 people are known to have died from the virus, including six health workers in China.
Last week, Royal Caribbean said it canceled eight cruises out of China through March 4 and warned of a 25 cent impact to its first quarter earnings.
Royal Caribbean International president and chief executive Michael Bayley said the line would move a ship to China to carry out a series of complimentary sailings to thank medical personnel once the virus outbreak had ended.
Fears also have spread beyond Asia, Royal Caribbean said on Thursday. “While the early impact due to concerns about the coronavirus is mainly related to Asia, recent bookings for our broader business have also been softer,” the company said.
Maritime Business World